Friday, September 12, 2014

Calla Lilies and Flamenco Dancers

"Flamenco Flames"  24" x 18"  SOLD

I just finished a couple new paintings from some beautiful photographs that my friend Pam sent me from California. The colors of these Calla lilies are so gorgeous! ...And I love the shapes - like twisting fabric on dancers or flickering flames.

I really wanted to push the look of movement in this composition. The flowers reminded me of flamenco dancers so I studied the shapes of the dancers' dresses. (See my collage of photos below. Can you see the similarity in the shapes?)

I also emphasized the sharp-tipped flame shapes and repeated them in the leaves as well as the flowers.

I listened to salsa music the whole time I was painting this. The rhythms are so exciting you can't help but dance. There I was in my studio, dancing with my headphones on while I was painting. My teenagers who were home for summer vacation were really horrified. At least it was one way to get a little time all to myself in the studio this summer!

This painting is sold and is on it's way to California to live with Pam. Thank you Pam for the inspiration!


No comments: